Pepernoot is a Dutch recipe and is made in celebration of Sinterklaas. The following recipe is a recipe of pepernoot with chocolate. Another recipe especially made for this holiday are chocolate letters.
Making the dough
- Stir the flour, baking powder, sugar and spices together.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and chop or mash it thrue the flour mixture.
- Knead the ingredients by hand until smooth and when there are no more lumps of butter.
Forming the pepernoot
- Put the baking sheet ready with the baking paper.
- Form a sausage of the dough.
- Pick small pieces of dough from the dough sausage and roll them into balls – as big as a marble!
- Put the balls on the baking paper.
Baking the pepernoot
- Put the baking sheet in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The cooking time depends on the size of your dough. When in doubt, you can cut open to see if it is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from oven and let it cool.
Finishing touch: chocolate
- Heat a layer of water in a pan (do not boil).
- Cut the chocolate into not too large pieces and place it into a bowl.
- Add a little butter and place the bowl onto the hot pan. The bottom of the bowl should not touch the water.
- Wait a few minutes until the chocolate is soft.
- Stir butter and chocolate carefully.
- Roll a few pieces of dough thrue the liquid chocolate. Fish them out with a fork and let them dry on a rack (or marble slab, if you frequently work with chocolate). I’ve put some time in the refrigerator to get some speed up this process.
- 30 – 60 minutes
- 150 grams flower
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons biscuit spices
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 90 grams (dairy) butter
- 100 grams pure chocolate (or more)
- little bit of butter
- Mixing bowl
- Fork, spoon, sharp knife
- Baking paper
- cooling grid or marble slab
- Preheat the oven to 150 ° C
- Weigh all ingredients and put them ready
- Also delicious with white or milk chocolate
- Spice up your spices with additional cinnamon, ginger, allspice and / or cayenne pepper